The New York Post agreed to a deal ending a former worker’s lawsuit which alleged that the tabloid fired her for complaining that a high-ranking editor who enjoyed belittling women in the newsroom harassed and propositioned her for sex.
The former digital editor-in-chief, Michelle Gotthelf, filed a stipulation of dismissal on Thursday alerting a Manhattan federal court that they had reached an agreement to end the case. The settlement terms were not made public.
Gotthelf sued the Post and former editor-in-chief Col Allan in January 2022, accusing them of violating New York City and state human rights laws. Gotthelf was fired earlier that month after 20 years with the company.
In Gotthelf’s complaint, she alleged the former top editor told her they should sleep together and referred to women using derogatory terms. She said he had been cultivating a hostile work environment since 2013 and “delighted in degrading” her and other women in the newsroom.
After Gotthelf rejected his advances, she said he became “abusive” and would harass her in the newsroom, on one occasion ripping up a list of stories she had prepared and screaming at her to get out of his office.
In 2016, Allan retired, but Gotthelf said in her suit that he resigned in disgrace following her complaints about his misconduct.
She further alleged that she was promoted to managing editor to keep her quiet but that she actually had fewer responsibilities because of her complaints. Allan was rehired as a consultant and ended up becoming her supervisor again despite Gotthelf negotiating a new contract that stipulated the opposite.
Gotthelf was promoted to digital editor-in-chief in 2019.
In November 2021, Gotthelf told new head editor Keith Poole, who is also named in the suit, about her allegations against Allan when he asked about them. Two months later, she was fired, which she said was in response to her conversation about the allegations.
Counsel for the parties and a spokesperson for the Post did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.